Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Reply to Comment on New Chicago Pet Ordinance

Comment posted by Miss Robyn:

Honestly, doll, I think this is a great idea. Nothing makes me feel more stabby than people who don't spay and neuter their pets- it's tantamount to animal cruelty.

Robyn, I'm very confused on how you think not getting your dog spayed or neutered is the same thing as animal cruelty? Is this supposed to mean that I constantly beat my dog every chance I get? Or that I don't feed or give water to my animal? Or perhaps since I don't think it's necessary to alter the animal; I tied a rope around it's neck and hang it from a window? Your comment is ridiculous. According to this I'm constantly treating my animal in an inhumane way because I'm allowing it to live the way it was created.

*So* many animals end up in shelters, or on the street because people didn't feel the need to get their pets spayed and neutered.


So people actually take their pets to the shelter just because they don't want to alter them? I would think that it would be more due to them not being able to take care of them or provide for them. Kind of like how people put children up for adoption.

It actually doesn't even cost that much- there are places that will do it for practically nothing.

Depending on where you live. I've looked into this and found that if you live in certain areas there is no help provided at all. Even still, for some people $50 is a lot. It's either groceries for a couple weeks or get your cat altered.

And hey, anything that prevents people from breeding dogs for fighting is great in my book. Do you know what happens to those poor dogs? It's disgusting. They hang a slab of meat from the wall by a rope, and then get the dogs to jump up and bite it, and then beat the crap out of them while they're hanging there- to dislocate the jaw and make them more vicious.

You don't actually think that this ordinance is going to stop or even help stop dog fighting do you?

The kind of people that are involved in dog fighting are off the radar. It's like the gang bangers that walk around with guns. They must not know that Chicago has a gun ban. Someone should tell them so they get rid of their guns.

How certain individuals treat animals should not be a good reason on how to treat the entire population of Chicago. Yes Robyn, I do know how fighting dogs are treated. I've seen plenty of documentation and clips. They're treated that way so they become fighters. Does that mean that my little 4 pound Chihuahua, that I will not breed, should be spayed?

Why won't I breed my dog? First off, she's too small to safely have puppies. Secondly, I'm a responsible "parent". I'm not going to allow more puppies to come about.

Why won't I spay her? I don't believe in altering an animal from how it's created for the simple ability to not worry about it becoming pregnant. I believe I'm a good enough parent to not let that happen. I've already talked with my veterinarian about having her spayed. It was suggested that it only be done if absolutely needed due to her size.

And then even when they're rescued they can't be adopted out because they're too dangerous. It's so so wrong.

I'll completely agree. Fighting dogs is wrong. It's horrible but it does happen. Any person that actually takes a fighting dog home with them should know the risks. A dangerous animal should be put down, no matter what.

Oh, and it said in the article that if your pet can't have it done for health reasons it would be exempt from the law- not that you'd have to kill it.


I might have read that wrong. The way I read it; you would have to get a breeder's license in order to keep it from being altered. Which, if you can't afford it, would lead to the altering process and possible death. Sure, I read it and write it here as a scare tactic but how else will people take notice.

No comments: