Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Reply to Comment on New Chicago Pet Ordinance II

Comment by Melissa:

Honestly I think that the reasoning stating that it will reduce dog attacks is ridiculous.

Thank you. I haven't seen anything lately about dog attacks.

That being said, I think this law is a good idea. The shelters are not thinking of the bottom line, they are thinking of all the animals that have to come to them because they are strays or unwanted.

Not only strays or unwanted but due to the flooding in Iowa and Illinois. I've gotten the bulletins through certain organizations stating that they can't afford and don't have the facilities to keep taking on these animals left behind.

Once the term afford is used then the bottom line is being looked at. The bottom line is constantly looked at when ever a business is involved.

If you are not a breeder or showing them then what is the big deal to get them fixed.

Personally, I'm not fixed. Perhaps I should be but that's still in question. I was created this way and I like how I am. Can you ask your pet if it wants to be fixed? When a dog gets fixed it does change the animal. It becomes more sedentary, gains weight and is less attentive. In some cases, like my Father's dog, it becomes more mean. It effects every being differently and there's no way to guarantee what will come of it.

As for cats. Definitely have them spayed or neutered. There's way too many of them getting into my garbage cans. It will also help to stop the cats from marking their territories.

If you can't afford it there are always places that have low cost deals.

I went to a mechanic once that offered low rates. I bought a new car shortly after.

The amount of unwanted animals is staggering and allowing your pet to get knocked up because you didn't want to bother is pathetic.

People not taking responsibility for their animals and allowing them to get "knocked up" without being fixed is pathetic as well. The people that don't want to bother don't need an animal. By that I mean, if a person has an animal and can't stop it from reproducing without altering it, they should not have an animal. Having an animal is much more than just feeding and watering it.

As for the strays, there are a lot of programs set up to spay and neuter them to help the population control as well.

And then what? Spay and neuter them and put them in cages. Hope someone takes them home? Or release them back into the alleys? Here's an idea. Catch the strays, let them sit long enough that someone might claim them. If not, euthanize them. If someone does claim them, then spay or neuter them.

Sounds horrible but there is a huge overpopulation of strays especially cats.

Head down to the shelter some time and look at all of the little lives that are on the line because their owners didn't want to bother fixing them.

I've been to a few of the shelters here and outside the city. I've seen the many puppies and dogs that are in there. I've seen the sad faces. I've also noticed that a lot of those animals are fixed. Whether they are fixed after arrival or before was unknown to me at the time. And it didn't matter, if I had found the right animal I would have adopted it anyway.

However, I've seen many many animals with sad faces. I've nursed kittens to health with eye droppers. I've raised chickens from the egg. I've had many animals throughout my life. I've had many that died in my hands. So even though it did effect me I'm not going to run out and change the entire population because certain idiots don't know how to take care of their animals.

I also will not try to lead anyone to believe that the shelters are full due to the simple reason that someone didn't get their animal fixed.

I will lead people to believe that the shelters are full due to:
  • Strays
  • Animals being taken out of dangerous environments
  • The flooding that occurred in Iowa and Illinois.
  • Puppy mills. Like the ones that sell the animals to pet stores.
  • People buying pets due to their popularity and not realizing the responsibilities involved.
I'm not a bleeding heart. I don't believe that society should condone what actions are good for everyone. If society and government has to condone everything then we all lose our own voice.

No comments: