Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Gun Free?

Thank the gods Chicago is Gun Free, otherwise all these things would have happened for real.

All of these articles happened within the past 4 to 5 days in Chicago.

Boy shot released from hospital, girl still stable

Boy, 15, wounded in Chatham shooting

Boy shot in Austin neighborhood dies of wounds

Boy, 15, wounded in drive-by shooting on Chicago's South Side


Three adults shot to death in Chicago

Chicago arson investigator's shooting changes Fire Department policy

Alleged drug deal results in shooting death

1 killed, 7 wounded in overnight shootings across city

Man charged in fatal shooting at stoplight

You might be thinking, That's only 9 articles in 4 or 5 days.. Here's the kicker. It's 9 articles with 20 people shot or killed by illegal hand guns.

It's a damn good thing that hand guns are illegal. Just think, since they're illegal all the minors are carrying them around now. Why minors? Simple, if a minor gets picked up for a gun it's much more of a slap on the wrist than if one of the older gang members are carrying it. Let me rephrase that, it's more of a slap on the wrist than if an Adult is carrying it. I don't want anyone to think that all these shootings are gang related...

I mean, there are people stupid enough out there to shoot someone over their sneakers. Or because they flirted with their girlfriend. Yes, these people are f'ing idiots, but they're real.

With all these shootings how is it people actually feel safe? I'll admit that I carry a pocket knife. I was raised to always have one on me. I've never lived in an area where I'd carry it in my hand until I came to this city.

I don't make the assumption that I'm safe when I'm walking at night. I never rely on the police to arrive in a timely manner. If needed I'll do what I have to in order to be safe. Maybe one of these days I'll be a blurb on page 8.

Man shot after trying to protect himself from muggers.

So the only people on the street with hand guns are the Police and the "bad guys". Feel safe? Everyone knows what the turn around time for a 911 call is. It's not immediate unless it's really bad or the night is extremely quiet. Can you rely on the help?

I would gladly say that an open carry law in Chicago would be a good idea. I'd also say that there should be certain requirements needed in order to do so. Or maybe there should be more police on the streets. After the July 1st sales tax increase the city should be able to afford it. Oh wait.. maybe that increase was just to raise salaries.

Then again, in Chicago you need 60 college credits to become a cop. They don't need to be from any certain type of schooling though. It could be in basket weaving if you really wanted to become a cop. Weird huh? 60 college credits to become a cop and they still have the academy.

I would have done this already if I didn't think school was a waste of time and money.

No comments: